Texas Border Business
By News and Internal Communications
RIO GRANDE VALLEY, TEXAS – UTRGV has invited back graduates of its Class of 2020 to participate in in-person ceremonies, May 13-15.
More than 1,800 certified Spring, Summer and Fall 2020 graduates will participate in the three-day event.
Originally, all ceremonies were scheduled to be held outdoors, but due to forecasted inclement weather for the weekend, UTRGV has decided to move ceremonies indoors at both UTRGV Brownsville and Edinburg campuses. Commencement weekend will begin in Brownsville on Thursday with ceremonies being held in the PlainsCapital Bank El Gran Salon while the UTRGV Fieldhouse will host graduates and their families in Edinburg on Friday and Saturday.
“We’ve all been anticipating this special day. However, the last thing we want to do is postpone it once again – especially on such short notice – as we know many graduates and their loved ones have already committed to traveling and attending this event,” said Sofia Almeda, University registrar, in a memo to the Class of 2020. “Though we empathize with you and understand the disappointment you may have, please know that this path to celebrating your achievements will still allow you the opportunity to cross the stage and be recognized in front of your family and friends.”
The ceremonies are limited to the graduates and their four guests. All event attendees will be required to social distance and wear masks as per COVID-19 campus guidelines.
The ceremonies open Thursday, May 13, in Brownsville and will include the following:
- 8 a.m. – School of Nursing, School of Social Work, Robert C. Vackar College of Business and Entrepreneurship, College of Sciences, College of Health Professions, and Mathematics and Science Academy.
- 10: 30 a.m. – College of Fine Arts, College of Engineering and Computer Science, College of Education and P-16 Integration, and College of Liberal Arts.
Friday ceremonies include:
- 8 a.m. – Robert C. Vackar College of Business and Entrepreneurship and College of Education and P-16 Integration.
- 11 a.m. – College of Engineering and Computer Science, College of Sciences, and Mathematics and Science Academy.
On Saturday, the following colleges will hold ceremonies:
- 8 a.m. – School of Nursing, School of Social Work and College of Health Professions.
- 11 a.m. – College of Fine Arts and College of Liberal Arts.
For more information on the ceremony and how to watch, visit https://www.utrgv.edu/commencement/ceremonies/class-of-2020-commencement/index.htm.