Nueces Coffee Co. supplied Corpus Christi with caffeine fix for decades


Corpus Christi has its share of coffee connoisseurs, but do they remember the Nueces Coffee Company?

The company began in 1915 as Martin Tea and Coffee at 615 Mesquite Street, owned by T.B. Martin, then was purchased by C.J. Tschiedel and renamed the Nueces Tea and Coffee Co. in June 1919. Tschiedel moved the business to 1117 Leopard Street in 1922 and in 1928 the Alice-based Charles Bros. and Bellin bought the company, moving it to 707 Lester Avenue just off Leopard.

Employees stand outside the Nueces Coffee Co. at 707 Lester Avenue in Corpus Christi in 1935. Photo courtesy La Retama’s Local History Room, Special Collections and Archives.

The following year D.B. Yarborough took over and set about enlarging the business. Yarborough came from San Antonio, where four of his brothers worked in the coffee business. Two of his brothers would end up joining him over the years, with brother W.O. Yarborough eventually becoming the president of the company in 1932.

More:#TBT: These are Corpus Christi’s oldest restaurants, going strong since the 1940s



Source link