Time to register to vote in Texas is almost up.
The last day to register to vote in the statewide election is Monday, Oct. 4. This election will feature eight proposed amendments to the state constitution.
Here’s what you need to know.
How to register to vote in Texas
At least 30 days before the election, Texans will need to fill out a registration application and mail it to the voter registrar in their county. Applications can be requested through the mail, or found at voter registrars’ offices, public libraries. post offices, and high schools.
When you mail your application, make sure it’s postmarked by Oct. 4.
Are you registered to vote in Texas?
You can check your voter registration status, poll location, early voting locations, registration information and key election dates by visiting the Texas Secretary of State “Am I Registered?” system.
What are the eligibility requirements to vote?
To vote in Texas, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- A resident of the Texas county where the registration application is made
- At least 18 years old on Election Day
- Not finally convicted of a felony, or must have fully completed the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a court-ordered period of probation; or have been pardoned or otherwise made eligible to vote
- Not deemed by the court to be totally “mentally incapacitated; or partially mentally incapacitated”
How to register to vote by mail
To vote by mail, you must be:
- 65 or older
- Sick or disabled
- Out of the county on election day and during the early voting period
- In jail but otherwise eligible
What Texans will vote on this November
There are eight amendments to the Texas constitution that were proposed during the 87th Legislature regular session. These proposed amendments can be viewed at the Texas Secretary of State website.
Key election dates
- Last day to register to vote: Monday, Oct. 4
- First day of early voting: Monday, Oct. 18
- Last day for application for ballot by mail to be received by election office: Friday, Oct. 22
- Last day of early voting: Friday, Oct. 29
- Election Day and last day for vote by mail ballot to be received: Tuesday, Nov. 2
Ashlee Burns covers trending and breaking news in South Texas. See our subscription options and special offers at Caller.com/subscribe