Texas Border Business
EL PASO, Texas— The City of El Paso’s Museum and Cultural Affairs Department welcomes the community to join this year’s Chalk the Block presented by Raiz Federal Credit Union happening Friday, October 13 to Sunday, October 15, in the Downtown Arts District.
Celebrating 16 years, the festival includes local artistic talent such as chalk artists, musicians, muralists, and arts and crafts vendors. In addition, large-scale interactive installations from internationally recognized artists will be on display.
Chalk the Block will host a Preview Night from 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday, October 13. The festival continues from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, October 14, and from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, October 15.
Must-see activities include:
- Mural Walk: Curated by Babak Tavaloki, El Paso, TX – Pedestrian Pathway
- moonGARDEN: Installation by LUCION Media, distributed by Wireframe, Public Art Agency – Arts Festival Plaza
- Chaotic Diffusion: Audiovisual Interactive Installation by David Elias Delgado, El Paso, TX – San Jacinto Plaza
- MI CASA, YOUR CASA 2.0: Installation by Esrawe+Cadena, Tour Producer: Creos – San Jacinto Plaza
- Chalk Art Competition – Pedestrian Pathway
- Kids Zone – Oregon and Main
- Artisan Market – Coffee Box Parking Lot
- Music – Curated by B.E.A.T Vinyl
The El Paso Museum of Art and El Paso Museum of History will have several workshops and activities throughout the three-day festival. The El Paso Museum of Archaeology will be onsite on Saturday, October 14 at the Museum of History with workshops for all ages.
For the first time this year, Chalk the Block will be piloting a sensory-friendly experience on Sunday, October 15 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. before the event opens to the public. Visitors are invited to reserve a slot during designated sensory-friendly hours. Limited attendance and additional amenities including low-sensory areas and a pre-visit guide will allow more visitors to be able to enjoy hands-on activities at the museums as well as this year’s installations.
Reserve a slot at www.ChalkTheBlock.com/Sensory-Friendly.
Chalk the Block is a collaborative effort by the City of El Paso Museums and Cultural Affairs Department and the El Paso Community Foundation with support from Raiz Federal Credit Union, the Texas Commission on the Arts, and Visit El Paso.
For more information on Chalk the Block, including a full list of events and an event map, visit www.ChalkTheBlock.com.